What i packed in my prison bag
What i took to prison -
If you know you’re facing prison, its essential you pack all allowed items into a prison bag to take with you. Its much easier to take what you need in with you than to try and get it into the prison after your there.
When i knew i was going to prison i ensured that i looked up all what was allowed in prison and ensured that i packed it in my prison back to take to court with me.
So what are you allowed to take to prison? There is quite a list of items that you are allowed to take with you, there are also some items that you shouldnt go to prison without. Read more on this blog to find out what you can and what you SHOULD take with you should you be facing a stay in HM’s finest!
What to take in your prison bag
- Duffle Bag/Gym Bag to put the items in
- Underwear / Socks
- Dressing Gown
- Flip-flops (A Must, The Shower Floor is Disgusting)
- Earplugs (Induction unit can be extremely loud and constant door banging)
- 2 pairs of trainers, especially if you’re planning on going to the gym
- Books, Puzzle games like Sudoku, Word Search, Crosswords
- Envelopes, Writing Paper, Pens, Pencils, Stamps
- Photos of your loved ones
- Watch under £50
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant) NO AEROSOL SPRAYS or Alcohol based.
- Electric Shaver
- Wedding Ring
- Address Book
- CD Player / Stereo / Earphones
- Gloves / Scarf
Prison Clothing Limits
The prison does have limits on garments that you are allowed to be on your Prop Card (property card). Socks and Pants don’t normally count towards a prop limit.
- 9 Lower Garments which includes shorts, trousers, jeans and joggers
- 15 Upper Garments which includes t-shirts and jumpers
- 1 Jacket/Coat
- 10 Pairs of Socks, Unlimited Underwear
- 3 Pairs of Shoes/Trainers
So when should you pack and be ready to take your prison bag with you?
Once you are due to be sentenced, its wise to have your prison bag packed and with you when you go to court for sentencing. It is likely that, once sentenced you wont be coming out again should you be handed down a custodial sentence.
Your items will be checked in once you have been escorted from the dock, money counted and then put in a waiting cell ready to be shipped to prison.
What money should you take with you to prison?
When i went to prison, i took £100 with me. It was enough for a few weeks but given the chance again, i would take much more, there doesnt seem to be a limit. They just count it at court when you get sent down and its added to your prison fund account when you get to prison. You will need this money to purchase items in prison, phone credit, canteen items, bedding, pillows etc.